- Drivers should expect lane closures on Rivers Avenue (U.S. Highway 52) between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. each night from Wednesday, Aug. 29 through Sunday, Sept. 30, except on Friday and Saturday nights when there will be no closures.
- The lane closures will occur in either direction of Rivers Avenue between Ashley Phosphate Road and Northbrook Boulevard.
- Only one portion of the road will be closed at a time.
- Workers with flags will direct traffic through the closures.
- The closures are necessary due to the construction of new sidewalks, crosswalks and pedestrian signal improvements on Rivers Avenue.
- All road work is dependent on weather. If the weather is poor during Aug. 29 – Sept. 30 and more work is needed, it will continue on the next weather-permitting night (other than a Friday or Saturday).
Drivers traveling through the project’s construction zone are asked to be aware of equipment and crews working in the area at all times. The public is also asked to notice traffic control signs, message board information, and to note that all road work is dependent on the weather.
The goal of the project, which is expected to be completed November 18, 2012, includes sidewalk, crosswalks and pedestrian signalization improvements along the west and east ends of Rivers Avenue from Ashley Phosphate Road to Northbrook Boulevard.
The public can get more information about all Charleston County Transportation Sales Tax road projects at the official website at www.ccroadwise.org.